* Approximately 26,000 marathon runners will save approximately 25,230 gallons of gas by running rather than driving the course routeWASHINGTON, D.C., 2006-10-26 - When the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM) begins on Sunday, October 29 a Saturn SKY Red Line roadster will be leading the pack in style, while the Saturn VUE Green Line hybrid will be providing runners throughout the race a breath of fresh air, as today Saturn announced that it has agreed to become a proud vehicle sponsor of the Marine Corps Marathon.
As part of Saturn's sponsorship status, Saturn will provide a Saturn SKY Red Line as the lead vehicle for the MCM, six Saturn VUE Green Line hybrids for MCM troubleshooting and one as the trail vehicle. The Saturn VUE Green line will also serve as the lead vehicle for the 10K run and courtesy vehicles for race VIPs and officials.
"The Marine Corps Marathon has established itself as the 'People's Marathon' over the last 30 years, and as the marathon continues to grow Saturn would like to support all of the participants who strive to achieve a healthy lifestyle," said David Smidebush, Saturn's director of brand and product development. "The Marine Corps Marathon promotes health and fitness, and Saturn supports runners that work hard to lead a healthy lifestyle."
Throughout the race weekend, Saturn will display vehicles at the entrance of the MCM Health and Fitness Expo, Start Area, Crystal City Spectacular and Finish Line Festival and at various locations throughout the race route.
As a proud sponsor of the 31st Marine Corps Marathon, taking place on Sunday, October 29, Saturn will also be opening a Greenhouse at the Marathon Expo site (DC Armory, near RFK Stadium) October 27-28.
While at the Saturn Greenhouse runners can take in a Runners World seminar to receive pre-race information and course tips and strategy, an autograph session with the Hanson-Brooks Running Team, receive a massage in the relaxation station and kids can take part in an Arts & Scraps project by building a car out of recycled industrial scraps.
On Sunday, October 29 in the Runners Village Saturn will help runners with any last minute needs including water, first aid supplies, sunscreen and shoelaces. Following the race the first 10,000 marathon finishers will receive a new pair of Saturn flip-flops to ease their exhausted feet.
Throughout marathon weekend, runners and spectators will be able to see Saturn and experience many marathon-related activities, such as:
* Race morning, Saturn invites runners to stop by its exhibit to pick up any last-minute, forgotten supplies including water, first aid supplies, sunscreen and shoelaces
* Saturn will provide display vehicles at the entrance of the Marathon Health and Fitness Expo on Friday and Saturday
* Saturn hosts a Runners World Seminar to provide runners course tips and strategy on Friday and Saturday at 10 a.m., 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.
* A special Relaxation Station with massages for race participants and spectators is open at the Saturn Greenhouse located at the marathon Expo Friday and Saturday
* Special kid-friendly project throughout the day on Saturday at the Expo is an Arts & Scraps recycled car building activity
* The first 10,000 marathon finishers will receive a new pair of Saturn flip-flops
Additional Notes of Interest
* If each of the 26,000 expected participants were to drive an all-new 2007 Saturn VUE Green Line hybrid along the 26.2 mile marathon course around Washington D.C. it would consume approximately 25,230 gallons of gas at an average of 27 miles per gallon in the city.
* Saturn is inviting the public to learn new ways to go green inside two additional Saturn Greenhouse locations in the Washington D.C. Metro area, October 26 - 29, 2006. For more information and a complete greenhouse schedule please visit www.Saturn.com.
The Saturn VUE Green Line Hybrid
2007 VUE Green Line Hybrid is the first GM vehicle powered by a new, more affordable hybrid system. The VUE Green Line allows you to go green without going broke and delivers an estimated 20-percent improvement in fuel economy, depending on driving conditions. With an EPA estimated 27 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway, it has the best highway mileage of any SUV. The VUE's hybrid system costs under $2,000. The VUE Green Line Hybrid SUV has a starting price of $22,995 (including destination charge), making it the lowest-priced hybrid SUV on the market.